By Kirsty Underwood
This is a beautiful warming wintery dish that’s great to cook in large quantities and store in the freezer for a quick meal. I also love this chilli for using up any veggies I have left in the fridge. It’s the perfect crowd pleaser for a Mexican feast served with lots of sides, or just as delicious on it’s own. I like it with corn chips for dipping and a dollop of mashed avocado or sour cream. Try it over baked sweet potato or with a side of rice. The choice is yours!
2 cups dried lentils
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, peeled and diced
1 red capsicum, cored and diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
440g Napoli sauce
400g tinned tomatoes
400g tinned kidney beans, rinsed
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 serve taco seasoning
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp coconut sugar
1 tsp chilli flakes
½ tsp chilli powder
Here’s what you do…
1. Rinse the lentils in a sieve until the water runs clear
2. Tip the lentils into a large pot and cover with 4 cups water
3. Let them simmer over a medium heat for around 20 mins or until cooked and tender
4. Leave lentils to sit in the pot and absorb any remaining water
5. To a separate pan add the onion, capsicum, carrot and ghee/oil
6. Saute on a medium heat until the vegetables begin to soften
7. Add all remaining ingredients, including the lentils and simmer on a low heat for 30 mins, or until the sauce has reduced
Want to order your veggies or pantry staples online and get free delivery? Head to The Organic Butler and enter code 'SuburbanSandcastles' at the checkout for 10% off your order, too!
Kirsty Underwood is a health and happiness expert, integrative nutrition coach and food consultant. She works 1:1 with people who want to shake up their health and discover jump-out-of-bed-in-the-morning happiness.
Through her coaching and scrumptious wholefood recipes she shows you how to make food fun and life less complicated. When she’s not spreading the health word or hanging out in her kitchen, you’ll find her seeking sunshine, getting lost in nature or enjoying something chocolatey.
Get social with Kirsty on Facebook or Instagram @vitalitykitchen.com.au. Or meet her over at www.vitalitykitchen.com.au.